Registering your VI child

Is it right for your family?

Registering your child for their vision impairment can be an overwhelming thought. This page offers some insight into some potential benefits and where to find extra support.

You may not want to label them as ‘disabled’ or it may feel like you’re putting them in a box. However, “registration” simply means being on your local social service’s register of people who are either severely sight impaired (blind) or sight impaired (partially sighted). It is voluntary and completely confidential, and your details won’t be shared.

You will get a CVI (Certificate of Visual Impairment) from your child’s eye specialist, likely an ophthalmologist, after they have completed visual testing examinations. Your child’s vision has to meet the specific criteria on a visual acuity test in order to qualify for a CVI. It will detail whether your child is sight impaired or severely sight impaired. Keeping the CVI safe is important as you will be asked to present it on a number of occasions to provide proof and it isn’t an easy process to have it replaced.

Organisations/institutions that may require a certificate of visual impairment to access support:

1. The Local Authority

2. Educational setting

3. Charities that you wish you access support from

4. Health professionals

5. Benefits agencies

6. Blue badge scheme

7. Carer ticket schemes to be able to qualify for accessible tickets for events and outings

8. Social care team

9. Sensory impairment team

Registering your child as vision impaired is not mandatory, however it can make it much easier for you and your child to access support and services, including the benefits listed here >

Further support and information


The NHS website has very clear information about the registration process.

Guide Dogs

Certification and registration for children and young people – this page explains the process and the benefits of registering your child.


A step-by-step guide to the registration process and some of the advantages.